Ever made a wrong turn? Clicked send and regretted it? Bulldozed your way into a trap?
Course Corrections are part of my life. Some I make quickly but some I procrastinate on. My hesitation always cost me, but it may also cost someone else. Here’s what I’ve learned:
- We’re His children. He’s our Father. We may not grasp the seriousness of His corrections, but from God’s perspective there’s always an urgency.
- The conviction of the Holy Spirit comes with a shelf life! We should immediately respond. If we procrastinate, the conviction gets stronger. Its urgency will crowd out everything else in our life until we give it our full attention. Make corrections priority.
- The Course Corrections we need to make often is for the benefit of others.
“My son, do not make light of the Lord’s discipline and do not lose heart when he rebukes you, because the Lord disciplines those he loves.” Hebrews 12:5-6
Notice in the fullness of the text in Hebrews 12:5-13 that the writer concludes with how to recover from a botched course correction:
- Strengthen your feeble arms and weak knees.
- Make paths for your feet, so that the lame may not be disabled, but rather healed.
My conclusion: Course corrections are directly or indirectly for the benefit of others.
God’s perspective is not random. From His perspective, He flags us when what we are thinking will lead to destructive actions. He flags us when destructive actions go unchecked because He knows those types of habitual actions lead to dead-ends. Emphasis on “dead”!
Thinking like Jesus doesn’t tolerate rabbit trails that get us off track.
Be sensitive to His Course Corrections. Make adjustments quickly. Grasp the urgency of it all.
COURSE CORRECTIONS EMPOWER US TO BREAK RANK WITH HABITS VOID OF HIS PERSPECTIVE.
No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it. Hebrews 12:11